We all know that jobs aren’t what they used to be and neither is the economy. It’s great to have a job, provided that it’s something you enjoy and it’s something that pays you well enough to eat and enjoy life a little bit. About 15 years ago, I had a series of good paying jobs that weren’t a lot of fun and weren’t all that long-lasting. I was working as a systems administrator for a series of struggling companies, and when the money got tight, the people who weren’t generating revenue for the company were usually the first to be let go. As a result, I frequently found myself out of work, despite having marketable skills. It’s nice to have a college education, as I do, but when employers find that people without a diploma can and will do the job for less money, you can often find yourself out of work.
After a succession of layoffs, I decided that I could probably stay gainfully employed by simply earning money online. “Simply” is probably the wrong word to use; there was nothing simple about it. I had no idea how to build a Website, or a mailing list or how use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to help the search engines find my site. There wasn’t a lot of information online back then, so I had to buy a lot of books. Over time, I eventually figured out the nuts and bolts of building Websites and drawing traffic to them. Over the years, I’ve earned a bit of money and I haven’t had a regular job since 2003. It hasn’t always been easy, but it’s often rewarding.
Lots of people, like you, are looking for ways to make money on the Internet so you can work online from home. There are lots of sources for information, but a lot of the sites that appear to be helpful are actually just trying to take your money. There’s no shortage of tools out there for sale that promise to bring piles of cash your way overnight if you’ll just buy their “push button” product. I’ll tell you right now – there is no product that is push-button easy that will let you make money overnight. There used to be, but the search engines have gotten smarter over the years, and those sorts of “set it and forget it” software products don’t work anymore. Today, the search engines like to see Websites with a lot of content that’s useful to the visitor. If you can create a Website like that and can engage your visitors, you’ll have a site that the search engines love and that’s helpful to your visitors. Sites like that can make money, but they do require some work.
The push-button software products that don’t work aren’t the only thing that’s hurting a lot of people who’d like to work online from home. Another major obstacle are the products from the so-called “marketing gurus” that promise to show you everything you need to know…..for a payment of $3000 to $5000. These products are usually video recordings of seminars that may also include some books. While these products may include some useful information, there are a few problems with them:
1. They’re expensive. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to learn how to work online from home.
2. They’re largely repetitive, with little new information. Once a “guru” creates a $5000 moneymaking course, he’s likely to simply rewrite it once a year or so and give it a new name and try to sell it to the same people all over again.
3. They’re unnecessary. You really don’t need 100 hours of video or 1000 pages of books to tell you what you need to do to work online from home. Making money online isn’t necessarily easy, but you don’t need an expensive course to show you how to do it.
On this blog, I’m going to share what I’ve learned over the years about what it takes to make money online.
Work Online from Home Process
There’s a basic process that goes into making money online and a few things you’re going to need to do in order to become successful. These things should all be obvious, but if they’re not, don’t worry – I’ll discuss them in detail and show you what you need to do.
In short, you’ll eventually need most, if not all, of the following.
1. An objective. Before you can do anything, you need to know what it is you’re trying to do. Running out and saying, “I’m going to build a Website and make money!” isn’t going to work if you don’t know what your objectives are. The first thing you need to do is to decide what it is you’re going to do.
2. A Website. Obviously, if you’re going to try to work online from home, you need to be “online.” That requires a Website. There are many ways to build one, and it has never been easier to do. That’s one of the great things about advancing technology. You won’t have to learn HTML or coding of any kind; you can just use WordPress to build your site and you can have it up and running in minutes. There are even easier ways to do it, and we’ll cover those in due time.
3. A monetization method. If you’re going to make money online, you’re going to need a way to do it. That could be any one of a number of things, including selling physical objects, selling information products, or recommending other people’s products in exchange for a commission. There’s also something called the License Model, which I don’t recommend, but I’ll cover it eventually just for the sake of completeness.
4. Visitors. Getting traffic to your site is important if you’re going to make money on the Internet. There are easy ways to do it and hard ways to do it, and expensive ways to do it. We’ll discuss ways to get people to come visit your site and how you can get visitors without spending a fortune.
5. (Optional) A mailing list. Building a list of email addresses of visitors to your site can be a great way to interact with people and an effective way of retaining them as customers. It’s not hard to do and not particularly expensive, either.
In the end, all you need to do to work online from home is cover the steps above. Find something that you want to do. Build a Website to do it. Find a way to monetize the site and get some visitors. While these are simple concepts, there is a large time commitment involved and a bit of a learning curve. But it’s not impossible, as there are tens of thousands of people who are successfully earning a living online right now. You can be one of them, and I’ll do what I can to help.